Inshore Rescue Boat-South Service Student Program
The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) hires and trains students each summer to become members of an Inshore Rescue Boat (IRB) Crew. Students will be trained in Search and Rescue (SAR) operations by CCG regional staff and following successful completion of training, will be assigned as Crew Members to IRB stations. Normally, each station is staffed with two teams of three persons, one Coxswain and two Crew Members.
To apply to the IRB Service, you must be a full-time post secondary student in an accredited institution and be returning to full-time studies in your next academic term. These are the eligibility criteria set out by the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP).
Students who wish to apply as “crew” for the IRB Service MUST meet the following criteria:
- Hold a valid VHF Digital Selective Call (DSC) Restricted Maritime Radio Operator's Certificate
- Hold a valid Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) LEVEL C
- Hold a valid standard First-Aid Certificate
- Hold a valid Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Hold a valid Canadian driver’s license; the licence must be in good standing, with no restrictions on the use of a motor vehicle. This condition of employment is required for all positions across Canada.
All candidates must hold a VHF Digital Selective Call (DSC) Restricted Maritime Radio Operator's Certificate at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the Inshore Rescue Boat training. (Please refer to the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons for more information)
As a condition of employment candidates must also pass the following mandatory requirements:
- successfully pass a Health Canada physical exam and a hearing exam (Health Evaluation Schedule)
- meet the necessary security standard (National Security Investigation).
Candidates must be fluent in French to work in the Quebec region and fluent in English to work in all other regions.
Applications for the Inshore Rescue Boat (IRB) Service are done online through the Federal Student Work Experience Program.
The deadline for applications to this program has passed.
- Date modified: